Gail: Thanks so much for doing this.
Holly: Kid goes missing, it’s pretty much top of the pile.
Gail: So how long until we know if the DNA is in the system.
Holly: A couple of hours…maybe more.
Are you ready for another fun and blabbering installment of “I think too much about the nuances of a fourteen minute ship and you shouldn’t be reading this nonsense”? This ship is like a sickness and I need to work through it, okay, like waiting for the fever to break. Good thing for everyone reading this right now, there are not a lot of scenes left and this madness will be over. But, while we wait for that day to come, grab some tea, sit back and settle in to read this meta.
1. One of the things I like about this scene is what it isn’t about. This is the first scene featuring Gail and Holly after their small peck (heeee) in the coatroom and it isn’t about how weird and uncomfortable it has made their budding friendship. In fact, it seems just the opposite. In most other television show, you’d expect their next scene to be some kind of “gay panic” scene where Gail frets “what did that kiss mean?” over-analyzing it or maybe even completely rejecting Holly or being uneasy about having to spend time in Holly’s lab (what if there is lesbian weirdness?). But not so. They seem completely at ease here. Perhaps, they talked about it in a scene we didn’t see. Or, as I suspect, they both chalked it up to a “thing that happened” of no more importance than kissing each other on the cheek (oh, you guys … it was important!!). Either way, it hasn’t effect their developing friendship at all, except to spur it forward.
2. The moment we should have all known this relationship was different for Gail… she brought Holly coffee and thanked her as she delivered it. Let me repeat that while yelling it through cupped hands, GAIL PECK BROUGHT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING COFFEE AND THANKED HER FOR HELPING HER. Who are you and what have you done with Gail Peck? Of course, Gail has brought others coffee before, but that was when she wanted to suck up to her training officer and make a good impression. Well, the same can be said here, I guess, but the good impression wasn’t about Gail’s ambition or self-interest, it’s about impressing this new friend (*cough* cute girl *cough*) into liking her more.
3. My favorite moment in this scene is Holly snarking on Gail for asking if there is a way to make the DNA identification go faster. Holly snarked on Gail using science speak so dense I am not even sure I understood any of it. Holly sassed Gail with science snark and then walked away as she did it. Rather than be annoyed at Holly snarking on her brain’s ability to comprehend short tandem repeats, Gail seems oddly okay with being science sassed by Holly. It’s like some geeky mating dance and it’s adorable. Also, if you think about it, this scene is mirror scene of “Gail having to explain to Holly what a police officer does” right before they kiss.
4. Point number three also highlights just how at ease Gail is around Holly. Holly has created a safe space and their relationship has progressed to the point where Holly can make fun of Gail’s lack of science knowledge (MEDICAL JURISPRUDENCE!) and it doesn’t come across as dig on Gail’s intelligence. Gail knows Holly is just using her snark to put her at ease and try to diffuse a tense situation. Gail is probably thinking of all the horrible ways Christian’s kidnapping could go, but Holly’s silly snark makes it just a bit better.
5. This scene shouldn’t be as adorable as it is because it really just serves as a perfunctory “moving the main plot forward” scene, but these two someone how much it so fun to watch. I would like more scenes like this next season. Yes, please.
6. So, just completely forget about all the things I wrote just now, the real question this scene brings up is … did Gail just hang out with Holly at the lab all day while the DNA was being sequenced? How long was she there? Did Holly continually science sass Gail? Did Gail love every moment of it? This question becomes even more pressing when you realize that after spending, probably, hours with Holly in her lab, Gail STILL wants to hang out with her some more after her shift and they go to the batting cages together. When Traci tells Gail that she deserves to be happy, I think Gail thinks about how Holly made what could have been an awful, stressful day just a bit better by just being around her. So, Gail brought Holly coffee, spend hours in the lab with her and then wanted to hang out with Holly even more after her day was done. Yeah, these two were so dating and didn’t even know it.